Top 5 Cross Trainers
- 1 Top 5 Cross Trainers
- 1.2 JTX Tri-Fit: Extendable Long Stride and Incline Cross Trainer. FREE Polar Chest Strap Review – Our Number 1
- 1.3 JTX Zenith: Elliptical Gym Cross Trainer. FREE Polar Chest Strap + Floor Protection Mat Review – Number 2
- 1.4 Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer – Black Review – Number 3
- 1.5 JLL® CT300 Home Luxury Elliptical Cross Trainer, 2018 New Magnetic resistance elliptical fitness Cardio workout with 8-level magnetic adjustable resistance, 5.5KG two ways Flywheel, console display with heart rate sensor and tablet holder Silver color Review – Number 4
- 1.6 Sportstech CX610 professional cross trainer with Smartphone App control + Google Street View, 18kg inertia, HRC – Bluetooth – 32 resistance levels – home trainer ergometer elliptical stepper Review – Number 5
- 1.7 Verdict
- 1.8 Buying A Cross Trainer For Home: What To Look For.
- 1.9 A Reputable Brand.
- 1.10 Products from Amazon.co.uk
- 1.11 Warranty.
- 1.12 Decent Length Stride.
- 1.13 Maximum User Weight And Height.
- 1.14 Nice & Heavy Flywheel.
- 1.15 Heart Beat Monitor.
- 1.16 Console.
- 1.17 Resistance.
- 1.18 Preset Training Workouts.
- 1.19 TV Internet.
- 1.20 IPod Connection.
- 1.21 Battery / Mains.
- 1.22 Whats The Difference Between Elliptical Machine & Cross Trainer?
Cross trainers or elliptical trainers as they are sometimes known, are brilliant pieces of equipment to invest in if you prefer to get fit in the comfort of your own home. No matter what your budget, there’s a cross trainer that’s right for you.
Cross trainers are a stationary piece of gym equipment with two handles, which the user holds on to support and work their arm muscles at the same time as mimicking a walking or running motion. Cross trainers provide the perfect workout for individuals across the world as they work the muscles throughout the entire body.
Other benefits of working out using an elliptical trainer include increased weight and fat loss due to higher calories burned during a workout, there’s less pressure and impact on your joints than standard running and other methods of exercise and elliptical trainers allow you to vary your workout day to day. One day, you may wish to complete an intense, high impact workout, and the next, a less challenging, lower impact workout may be preferred.
With that in mind, we’ve reviewed five of the top cross trainers currently available to allow you to review, compare and select the perfect one for you and your needs.
JTX Tri-Fit: Extendable Long Stride and Incline Cross Trainer. FREE Polar Chest Strap Review – Our Number 1
The JTX Tri-Fit: Extendable Long Stride and Incline Cross Trainer with free Polar Chest Strap (view on Amazon) is a stylish, compact, top-end training system with many benefits. Here we review the product and its great features in more detail.
- The cross trainer is great for use by multiple users as it has a variable stride length system which ranges from 16 to 20 inches and gives you 5 stride options to choose from. This makes it a great product to invest in as multiple household members can benefit from the product.
- A powerful electro-magnetic resistance and incline control with 4 settings are built into the trainer. The incline allows you to work the core of your body simultaneously with your glutes, making it the perfect all over body workout. Combining the resistance and incline helps to maximise weight loss and improve fitness levels.
- The incline can be increased and decreased to allow you to personalise your workout. Working out with the incline increased allows you to work the stomach and glute area. Whereas, working out on a reduced incline focuses on the legs and your cardiovascular fitness.
- The cross trainer comes complete with an advanced computer which connects via Bluetooth to the iConsole app which can be downloaded for free on either Apple or Android phones or tablets. The great benefit of using this function is that it creates visual training tools for you to follow and to encourage motivation when you’re working out.
- The cross trainer has been designed to be compact and space saving, meaning it can fit in even the smallest of rooms as it’s 30% smaller than its closest competitors. Its product dimensions are: Length – 153cm, Width – 75cm, Height – 173cm.
- Additional features and benefits include a tilting colour screen, bio mechanic multi-grip handlebars, 19 workout programs and a customisable program feature.
- The tilting colour screen constantly provides you with an update on how you’re performing, including your time, distance, speed, calories, pulse and RPM.
- There are built in heart rate programs which adjust the resistance to give an efficient and effective workout. A heart rate strap is also included with the product. In addition to this, the cross trainer features 16 levels of Silent Magnetic Resistance (SMR) and a 17kg flywheel.
- The handles on the cross trainer are ergonomic, can be placed into multiple positions and provide resistance control.
- The cross trainer looks stylish and is finished in matte black.
- The maximum user weight of the cross trainer is 135kg.
- A lifetime frame warranty is included when you purchase the cross trainer. Additionally, a 2 year home repair warranty is also included which provides parts and engineer call outs to your property should these be required.
The JTX Tri-Fit: Extendable Long Stride and Incline Cross Trainer with free Polar Chest Strap is a great cross trainer with so many brilliant features and benefits that it’s difficult to pick out the top ones. However, the fact that the product is significantly smaller in size than its competitors without compromising on quality or features really makes it stand out from the crowd and allows people with smaller homes the option of getting fit in their own home. The multiple program features and variable incline and stride settings are also great and provide some excellent and challenging workouts, tailored just as you want them. The warranty provides peace of mind too and shows that the manufacturer is proud and confident of the product they have designed and produced.
Features: Variable stride length system – Bluetooth enabled computer –– Space saving design – Tilting color screen – Customisable program feature – Heart rate strap – Manufacturer’s warranty
Pricing: High end
JTX Zenith: Elliptical Gym Cross Trainer. FREE Polar Chest Strap + Floor Protection Mat Review – Number 2
- The frame of the cross trainer is made from heavy gauge steel and is the manufacturer’s heaviest trainer, making it robust, durable and stable. This style of design also ensures a quiet and smooth workout, which is great for late night or early morning fitness sessions.
- The components of the cross trainer and good quality which match commercial specifications.
- The cross trainer is designed to look sleek and elegant and mimics the look and feel of a professional gym-style trainer.
- 19 workout programs are included with the cross trainer, which include auto-adjust heart rate control, intervals, sprints, endurance, fat burning and fitness tests. There is also an option to create your own workout program.
- The cross trainer is Bluetooth compatible and can link to multiple fitness apps installed on your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to track, monitor and tailor your workout just the way you want it and follow interactive motion video workouts.
- The colour display unit is large with a high spec computer and allows you to constantly view your workout statistics, including time, distance, speed, calories burned, pulse rate and RPM.
- A 17kg flywheel and extended 21 inch stride path are included with the cross trainer.
- The handles on the trainer are ergonomic and can be placed into multiple positions. They also provide resistance control and pulse monitoring without the need to halt your workout.
- A free heart rate chest strap and floor protection mat are included with the product.
- The dimensions of the product are: Length – 190cm, Width – 87cm, Height – 173cm.
- The maximum user weight for the cross trainer is 165kg.
- A lifetime frame warranty and 3 year in-home repair warranty, including parts and labour is included when you purchase the product.
- The overall weight of the cross trainer is 86kg.
The JTX Zenith: Elliptical Gym Cross Trainer with Polar Chest Strap and Floor Protection Mat is a high quality, reliable, gym-like product that many people with love. It’s made from extremely high quality components which make it particularly heavy however, the reason the manufacturer has done this is to provide people with a robust, sturdy, professional piece of equipment which will last for years. The free items which come with the cross trainer are great items to include and the floor mat in particular is handy to prevent the product from damaging delicate flooring. It’s always beneficial for a pricey product such as this to come with a decent warranty and the JTX Zenith provides you with just that.
Features: 19 workout options – Bluetooth enabled – Interactive motion video workouts – Large color display – Heart rate chest strap – Floor protection mat – Manufacturer’s warranty
Pricing: High end
Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer – Black Review – Number 3
The Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer in black comes from one of the world’s most well known and loved sports brands. It’s significantly cheaper than some of the cross trainers we’ve looked at so far, so let’s see what features you get for your money.
- There are 12 preset programs featured with the cross trainer.
- Resistance levels can be adjusted to suit your needs and ability with the 32 different available levels.
- The foot plates on the cross trainer are adjustable, meaning you can move them into a position that’s perfect for you.
- There’s a large fly wheel which gives a smooth motion when the trainer is in use.
- The cross trainer is sturdy and elegant, so you can be sure of a good quality workout with minimal risk of injury.
- The overall weight of the cross trainer is 50.8kg.
- The product dimensions are: Height – 169cm, Length – 144cm, Width – 63cm.
The Reebok ZR8 Cross Trainer in black is a simple and basic cross trainer which does the job well. This trainer is perfect for those who aren’t worried about tracking their productivity or progression and instead just want to crack on with a good workout in the comfort of their own home. Although, it’s a basic trainer, it still provides quality for money and some good features, such as the preset programs and adjustable resistance levels and foot plates.
Features: 12 preset programs – 32 adjustable resistance levels – adjustable foot plates – Large flywheel – Sturdy – Elegant – Weighs 50.8kg
JLL® CT300 Home Luxury Elliptical Cross Trainer, 2018 New Magnetic resistance elliptical fitness Cardio workout with 8-level magnetic adjustable resistance, 5.5KG two ways Flywheel, console display with heart rate sensor and tablet holder Silver color Review – Number 4
The JLL® CT300 Home Luxury Elliptical Cross Trainer, 2018, in silver is a stylish and professional looking product which falls in the smaller sized category of cross trainer. Let’s have a look at what it’s got to offer.
- The LCD display monitor allows you to track 9 different options: RPM, speed, distance, time, temperature, heart rate, calories, body fat and pole recovery.
- The cross trainer is designed to operate as quietly and smoothly as possible. This is achieved by 8 levels of magnetic resistance which has been combined with belt driven technology. This is a great feature for those who workout late at night or early in the morning as you don’t have to worry about waking others in the house or disturbing the neighbours.
- The built in front wheels allow you to easily and effortlessly transport the cross trainer from room to room.
- The maximum user weight of the cross trainer is 100kg.
- The flywheel feature weighs in at 5.5kg, making workouts challenging yet smooth.
- Options when in use include two-way pedals which allow you to go both backwards and forwards and dual action handlebars which allow you to either hold the stationery handlebars in the centre or the moving swing bars on the side.
- The handlebars are comfortable to hold and grip on to as they are coated with foam grips.
- If you own a tablet, the display monitor doubles up as tablet holder, making it a great multi-functional component of the cross trainer.
- Footplates have been included on the product to ensure maximum security and comfort when exercising and the pedals have been designed to cover all foot sizes.
- The frame is made from strong steel to ensure it is long lasting and durable.
- The dimensions of the trainer are: Height – 167cm, Width – 61cm, Length – 120cm.
- A 12 month warranty is included with the cross trainer which gives you peace of mind should the product develop a fault.
- The overall weight of the product is 36.9kg.
The JLL® CT300 Home Luxury Elliptical Cross Trainer, 2018, in silver is a practical piece of exercise equipment which is easily transportable and fairly lightweight. Its maximum user weight is significantly less than some of its competitors so that’s something to be wary of when considering purchasing this product. Aside from that, the monitor is functional and provides you with all the information you require to ensure you’re working out to your optimum levels.
Features: LCD display monitor – 8 levels of magnetic resistance – Belt driven technology – Transportable – Two-way pedals – Dual-action foam covered handlebars – Manufacturer’s warranty
Sportstech CX610 professional cross trainer with Smartphone App control + Google Street View, 18kg inertia, HRC – Bluetooth – 32 resistance levels – home trainer ergometer elliptical stepper Review – Number 5
The Sportstech CX610 professional cross trainer with Smartphone App control and Google Street View is a beautiful looking cross trainer which is practical and multi-functional. Here we’ve summed up its features, so let’s have a look at them in further detail.
- The cross trainer has an 18kg inertia with a whisper ripped belt-drive system.
- You can set your desired resistance level from the 32 options using the computer control, allowing you to select the one that’s right for you and your fitness needs.
- The brake system is motorised and magnetic.
- The console is compatible with Bluetooth and has Google Maps and Street View built into it, allowing you to select a journey to workout to. The console also shows your training history.
- Grip on the pedals is optimised as they have been designed to be large and slip-resistant and they are also have 3 adjustments. This ensures you’re kept safe and secure when using the trainer.
- A transport wheel is also built into the cross trainer, allowing you to transport the product for storage purposes.
- A water bottle holder and water bottle and included with the cross trainer – perfect for staying hydrated during a workout.
- The cross trainer has 12 pre-programmed programs built into it. In addition to these settings there’s the option of manual mode, watt training, HRC function, cardio training and it’s pulse belt compatible for use when heart rate training.
- The cross trainer’s dimensions are: Length – 1240mm, Width – 670mm, Height – 1540mm.
- The maximum user weight is 120kg.
- Provides balanced training which is gentle on your joints and trains multiple muscle groups.
- Installation tools are included with the product, allowing you to easily construct the cross trainer.
- A 5 year manufacturer’s warranty is included when you purchase and register and the cross trainer.
The Sportstech CX610 professional cross trainer with Smartphone App control and Google Street View is a professional inspired cross trainer which looks and works brilliantly. It has some brilliant features and additional items sold with it, including a water bottle, Google Maps and Street View functionality which make your workout experience one which is truly unique.
Features: 32 resistance levels – Motorised and magnetic brake system – Bluetooth compatible – Google Maps & Street View – Adjustable pedals – 12 built-in programs – 5-year warranty
The top cross trainer has to go to the JTX Tri-Fit: Extendable Long Stride and Incline Cross Trainer with free Polar Chest due to its fantastic features and benefits. The JTX Tri-Fit has it all. It’s a professional looking and functioning cross trainer which has been designed and built with its users and their needs in mind. The space-saving design really makes this cross trainer stand out from the crowd and offers people who may not have the room for a traditional size trainer to keep one in their home. Add to this, the multiple settings, programs and the manufacturer’s warranty and the JTX Tri-Fit really is a cross trainer which is difficult to beat.
When looking for a cross trainer to buy you need to be clued up on what to look for, the features that are worth having, things you should be looking out for and weary of. On this page, I will go through all of the important factors to consider when looking for a cross trainer to buy for your home. My name is Joe and I have been working with cross trainers for around ten years so I know a fair bit about them. I am also a part time fitness trainer so I also understand keeping fit and working out along with the physics and biology that goes behind that.
Buying A Cross Trainer For Home: What To Look For.
A Reputable Brand.
The first thing you want to make sure is that the brand you are considering is a reputable brand. The good branded manufacturers are well known in the industry and they have established a reputation. By doing a simple search online you can find out enough data to know they are a decent choice.
The good manufacturers have been in the industry for a while and they know their stuff! When it comes to physical fitness a well designed elliptical machine will go a long way not just the length of time it will keep in good condition but also the quality of workout you receive. By working out a fair bit and regularly, you want to be sure that the movement you are doing is natural and there are no short term or long term risks associated.
A lot of time in research goes into the design and manufacturing of these machines so if you intend to use these machines for any length of time then looking into good manufacturers is definitely recommended.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £899.00Was: £1,099.00
Price: Out of stock
Price: £749.00Was: £899.00
Price: £475.00Was: £629.00
The decent, good quality cross trainers are not cheap so the warranty has to give you the piece of mind that they will last a substantial test of time, use, wear and tear! Most of the good brands will give you a 5 or in some cases a 10 year warranty. Some companies may charge for the extended warranties. Depending on the charge, this would usually be well worth having.
You should also check whether the warranty is an onsite or return to base. If it is onsite, that’s great as their technician will come out to you to fix it should something go wrong. If it is return to base, you need to make sure that they will either arrange the collection of the parts from you or reimburse you for the return. Besides that you would also need to take into consideration that you would need to take apart the cross trainer yourself to send back which would be both inconvenient and risky.
Decent Length Stride.
The length stride is basically the length of the distance between your legs at the front and the back positions when using it.
Having the stride length to be too short will result in more of an up and down movement instead of the circular motion and can even lead to the cause of injuries in the long term. The general rule of thumb is the longer the stride length the better.
If you are tall and will be sharing the elliptical machine with a shorter person then there is still an option. Most cross trainers will either have adjustable pedals which is the better option or they will have longer foot plates. So if you are tall you would position your feet wider apart, if you are shorter then the gap between your feet would be that much shorter.
Maximum User Weight And Height.
As above; the longer the stride length, the better it would be in general but especially for taller people.
You also want to check the maximum weight that a particular cross trainer would allow. Most cross trainers allow a generally wide spectrum but it is always good to be sure before you buy one.
Nice & Heavy Flywheel.
The flywheel of the elliptical cross trainer is the wheel at the rear from where your foot pedals would be connected to. This is where the resistance is controlled. You want to look for a heavy fly wheel. The rule here is the heavier the flywheel, the more fluid motion you will have as well as more degree of resistance.
A light flywheel will make the motion feel disjointed and it can cause injuries. Some of the cheaper models, you will find have a very light (<4kg) flywheels and they are not even worth looking at in my opinion.
Heart Beat Monitor.
Some of the higher end models will come with a chest strap which you simply put on and as you work out you can keep an eye on your working heart rate.
For many of the models which do not include the strap, they have the handles which have the sensors on them. These sensors monitor your pulse and will give you your live heart rates.
Monitoring your heart rate while working out is important. Whatever your workout, you don’t want to drop your heart beat below a certain BPM as this would make your workout pretty much irrelevant. You want to keep your heart rate up. For HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio, your heart rate needs to be higher than a certain point for a period of time then you have a short (rest) period of time where are heart rate is allowed to be lowered a little. Then repeat.
The other extreme is doing LISS (low intensity steady state cardio). This is where your keep your heart beat at a constant level. Not too high and not too low. Again it is important to keep a close eye on your heart beat for this kind of exercise too.
The console is the computer display of the cross trainer. This is the heart of the machine. This is where you would control your resistance, set workout programs, check how many calories you have burnt, check how many kilometers you have traveled as well as keeping an eye on your heart rate.
The console is where you will be kept motivated. You would work to preset workouts or working to burn a certain number of calories. Either way the decent models will have a good console which, if you can justify it, is definitely worth the investment.
Unlike a treadmill which you workout using its own movement, with a cross trainer you actually create the movement so you want to be able well enough as to give you a decent workout while keeping the impact off your knees and back (which is why cross trainers are far superior compared to treadmills).
Because you actually create the movement, you need resistant – something to keep it from being an easy movement for you. Some of the cheaper models will use air for this which is not very effective.
The better quality machines use magnetic resistance to aid in your workout. The weight of the flywheel is responsible for this. The heavier the flywheel the better your workout with a more fluid and smooth movement and more resistance.
You also want to ensure that you can change resistance by using the console while you are working out. This feature is great and it will be something that you will most likely need at some point.
Some cross trainers will allow you to change resistance but to do so you will need to stop or pause your workout, get off the cross trainer, adjust it and get back on to continue working out. This can be quite inconvenient especially if you are doing a HIIT type of training.
Preset Training Workouts.
Most cross trainers, even some of the lower end models will offer preset training workouts. Needless to say the more you spend on the trainer, the more set workouts you will get.
Having preset workouts are great for keeping you motivated. Things like fat burning, body conditioning, building strength are some of the based programs. Some of the higher end models even ave features which will target specific body parts for you like glutes or arms.
The higher end models can have TV connectivity so you can watch your favourite soap or sitcom while working out. I know (as written above) that if I am doing steady state cardio that I like to watch TV. You could even browse the internet while you workout. Things like browsing videos on Youtube or even connecting to your Spotify playlist and playing the songs to listen to through your headphones while you train would be a good idea to keep you going.
This is a feature I like because I have all my favourite songs and audio books on my iPod and my iPhone. So having this feature sites very well with me. You can listen to your songs or if I’m doing steady state, I would sometimes even listen to audio books while I workout. This way I am learning while working out. This is great because you could work out easily for an hour without even realising, because you are learning!
Battery / Mains.
All cross trainers are powered by mains. Most of them have the advantage of having a battery power source too. This is interesting because you would generate the power for the battery by working out.
Admittedly, it will not save you a fortune on your electric bill but the fact that you are powering your cross trainers’ console should be rewarding enough.
Whats The Difference Between Elliptical Machine & Cross Trainer?
Traditionally most elliptical machines have only had the static hand grips. They did not have the moving arms.
More recently the two are basically the same machine. The terms are used interchangeably. Doing a Google search for elliptical machines will bring up cross trainers and vice versa. You will also see different people in the gym will call them by different names.
In my honest opinion, compared to running on the treadmill, working out on the cross trainer is a much more effective and less harmful exercise. I have had lower back problems from many years ago along with a weak knee joint. Running is a high impact movement so if I were to run; it would increase the problems as I am adding impact to my lower back and especially to my knees.
The cross trainer is a low impact exercise. The movement is in an “elliptical” motion which is basically like a horizontal oval shape. This takes the impact away from your body while giving you a running-like movement.
The other reason I like cross trainers is because, compared to treadmills, they also work the upper body. When you workout on a cross trainer using the arm rails you are working your entire body. This is very beneficial to overall fat burn as well as toning of the muscles. Where on a treadmill, yes, you would move your arms backwards and forwards but you are not necessarily working them. That is just your bodies’ natural movement as you run.