Top 5 Cross Trainers Under £500
Today we are looking at the top five cross trainers and assessing their strengths and eventually determining which is the best of the bunch. Before we launch into the review part we will take a brief look at what cross trainers are and the advantages it has over a stationary bike, which it is very similar too.
What is a Cross Trainer and why should I consider getting one?
A cross trainer, also known as an elliptical trainer, is a stationary piece of exercise equipment that is popular for home use. It is a sort of hybrid, a mix of a bike, climber and running machine and the added bonus of this machine is there is very little impact on the joints so it is a good option for people of all abilities. This machine offers you a great cardiovascular workout that can vary in intensity from light to high based on factors such as speed and resistance and or programme chosen.
JTX Strider-X7 Review – Our Number 1
JTX Fitness has been around since 2009, they offer a wide range of fitness equipment and they even have an in-house personal trainer who can help you choose the right machine for your needs and current goals. Every product is covered by their 28 day no quibble money back returns policy, and in addition to this their warranties include a home visit to repair equipment that has become faulty for free.
The JTX Strider-X7 (VIEW PRICE HERE!) is aimed at beginners to those of an intermediate level and is one of their most popular cross trainers. The features of this machine include the following:
· The machine can handle a maximum user weight of 17st and 4lbs or 110kg.
· It comes with a 5 year frame warranty and a 2 year in home repairs warranty as standard.
· Resistance is provided via electro-magnetic resistance with a 16 point range.
· It has a colour touch screen that allows you to access the programmes and data such as calories burned, speed, time and target heart rate.
· It has a highly responsive heart rate training system and a free chest strap.
· It has transport castors at the front of the machine to make moving it around easy.
· It also comes with adjustable floor pads to help deal with uneven surfaces.
The JTX Strider-X7 is a perfect piece of home exercise for those wanting to improve and work on their cardiovascular fitness. It has an extensive range of programme that will help you warm up and then challenge you during the workout.
Features – 21 Programmes – Colour touch screen – Free chest strap for heart rate monitoring – 16 levels of magnetic resistance – Max user weight 110kg/17st4lbs – Adjustable floor pads – Transport castors on the front.
Pricing – High End
Kettler Premium Review – Number 2
The next cross trainer comes from Kettler, they are a UK based company with over 30 years of experience. They offer a wide range of products that include garden furniture, toys, BBQ’s and fitness equipment. This is another machine that is aimed at the beginner end of the market but can be used by all levels to help increase stamina and muscle strength.
The key features of this unit include:
· This unit has 16 levels of magnetic resistance.
· There are 12 training programmes to choose from, including one that focusing on rate heart control.
· It has a polar compatible receiver so it can be used with chest straps, which is not included.
· It has a fitness recovery test to see how your training is going and help keep you on track.
· There are castors that allow you to transport the machine with ease.
· It also has levellers at the rear to help balance out the machine on uneven surfaces.
The Kettler Premium cross P trainer is another great option for people wanting to increase their fitness levels and work on overall muscle strength.
Features – 16 Levels of magnetic resistance – 12 training programmes – Polar compatible receiver – Display that shows data – Fitness recovery test -Levellers – castors.
Pricing – Mid Range
Reebok ZR8 Review – Number 3
Reebok has been around for over 100 years so they defiantly have a wealth of knowledge within the fitness industry. Their expansion into fitness equipment began back in 1989 with the introduction of the Step Reebok.
The features of this machine include:
· The levels has 32 levels of resistance and is mains powered to create the resistance.
· The hand grips have sensors on them to monitor your heart rate.
· It has 19 different programmes to choose from, 12 are pre-set programmes while there are user programmes, recovery test and target heart rate programmes.
· The console provides information on data such as speed, time and distance covered.
· It has useful transportation wheels and can handle a maximum user weight of 18st 13lbs or 120kg.
· It also comes with a 2 year manufacturers warranty.
The Reebok ZR8 cross trainer has an impressive range of programmes to choose from and an excellent range of resistance to really push yourself while training.
Features – 32 Levels of resistance – Sensors on hand grips – 19 Programmes – Console for programme choice and workout data – Transportation wheels – Max user weight 18st 13lbs/120kg – 2 Year warranty.
Pricing – Mid Range
Bodymax E60 Review – Number 4
· 15 separate programmes to choose from.
· The hand grips have telemetric heart rate receivers in them.
· It gives you an excellent upper and lower body workout.
· It is also polar compatible for use with chest straps.
· There are transport wheels and it can handle a maximum user weight of 18st 13lbs or 120kg.
The Bodymax E60 is a simple but effective piece of equipment that will allow you to challenge yourself and maintain your fitness levels.
Features – 15 Programmes – Heart rate sensor in hand grips – Polar compatible – Transport wheels – Max user weight 18st 13lbs/120kg.
Pricing – Mid Range
Proform Space Saver 600 Review – Number 5
· It has magnetic resistance with 10kg of inertia.
· This model also folds to make it more compact for when it’s not in use.
· It has a clear LCD screen that provides you with speed, time, distance, calories and heart rate.
· There are 18 programmes to choose from.
· There are duel pulse grips in the hand grips.
· It has transport wheels to move it around when not in use.
· There is also a water bottle.
· There is a 2 year warranty on the parts, frame and labour.
The Proform Space Saver 600 offers a great workout regime with the benefit of being able to be folded up and kept out of the way while not in use.
Features – Magnetic resistance – Folding – LCD screen – 18 Programmes – Duel pulse sensors – Transport wheels – Water bottle holder – 2 Year warranty.
Pricing – Mid Range
Each of these cross trainers have their strengths and when it comes to picking which one is best for you then it really depends on what you are looking for. However, if I had to pick one I would opt for the JTX Strider-X7. The reason for this due to the 21 programme range and the 16 levels of resistance. This machine is not only good for beginners but can still offer more experienced trainers a good workout to help them to maintain a good level of stamina and keep their muscle strength in top condition.